Silicone-based lubricants are the most purchased among personal lubricants.
While the idea of as relatively new, silicone-based lubricants have been used by condom manufacturers for many years. More and more manufacturers are offering silicone-based lubricants because of their safety and staying power. Because they are not water-based, silicone lubricants don’t “dry up” as water-based ones do. But they are safe for use with condoms.
Pros and Cons of Silicone Based Lubricants
- Because they contain no water, silicone lubricants never dry up. They stay slick for a very long time.
- If you use silicone lubricants without additives you are unlikely to have any topical body reactions, irritations, allergic reactions. For this reason, it is a good choice for people with sensitive skin.
- Silicone-based lubricants are also great for full body massage, as a skin moisturizer, and you can use it for shaving.
- Because they don’t break down in the water, silicone lubricants can be used in the bath or shower, or for any kind of underwater fun
- If you live in an area where there is snow in the winter, silicone-based lube is great for putting on the bottom of a sled or toboggan and going down hills!
- It is very difficult to wash off, especially sheets. Silicone is not water-soluble so it won’t come off your sheets.
- It is more expensive (although it goes farther than water-based lubes, so the price evens out in the end).
- Silicone-based lubricants have a “coating” effect on the skin which some people don’t like
- Silicone lubricants tend to have bad taste.
- Silicone lubricants are not compatible with silicone rubber sex toys or “cyber skin” sex toys. You should never use silicone lubricants with these toy materials.
Why do silicone-based lubricants degrade silicone?
Silicone sex toys are very similar chemically to silicone lubricants and as such they are miscible, unlike water-based lubricants. They can irreversibly penetrate into the object and can also cause plasticizers and other components sex toys are made of to leach out. Both result in changes to the material composition and properties of the object or toy.
Quality and Texture Differences between Silicone Based Lubricants
There are very few differences in the way silicone lubricants feel, but there is one main difference that affects both the quality of the lubricant and the cost. Better quality silicone lubricants use more of the denser ingredient called dimethicone. This ingredient is also more expensive. It feels more velvety and lush than the other ones.
If you are comparing silicone lubricants you can check to see where dimethicone comes in the ingredient list. In the better quality, more expensive silicone lubricants should come first.
Silicone-based lubricants for tasteless and odorless, greasy, and smooth.
Their advantages are that they last the longest of all lubricants and do not have to be applied fairly again, like water-based lubricants. They are safe for use with latex condoms, in water, and are hypoallergenic.
Their advantages are also their disadvantages. They last a long time and are therefore quite difficult to wash off. They cannot be used with silicone sex toys because they break them down.
Still, there is no universal lubricant that suits everyone.
Of course, when it comes to your body, and your orgasm, research (in the form of trial and error) is essential. Everyone’s experience is different. Natural lubricant, water or silicone-based, with heating or cooling action – try them all and see which will become your new favorite!
Premium quality silicone lubricants include:
- Wet Platinum
Basic quality silicone lubricants include:
- ID Millennium
- Durex Play